Standout sophomores prepare for upcoming hockey season

Photo by Mike Slide
Federico (center) and Murphy (second from right) await their game against their rival, Pinkerton Academy.

Preparing for a daunting sports season that is fast approaching is always difficult for high school athletes, but these two sophomores feel comfortable and are eager to contribute on the ice.  

Anthony Federico, by Nick Desrosiers:

Anthony “Toni” Federico is one of four sophomore varsity athletes from last year’s squad who is looking to make a return to this year’s team. Getting ready for a big season is nothing new for the defenseman, as he has been playing competitive hockey ever since he was four years old.

“I played split season which keeps me in shape and conditioned for the high school season,” Federico said. “I still have to work hard and do my best, and hopefully I can return to the team and contribute.”

Federico played a key role in last year’s 10-win season. This year, Federico is optimistic and feeling confident about the impending hockey season. In fact, the boys have already started to prepare by building up their team chemistry.

Mike Slide

Federico is preparing for the faceoff in the tight game against Trinity.

“The hockey team hangs out all the time, and we have pickup games of soccer and football whenever we can,” Federico said. “We try to stay as close as possible before the season begins. We do this because chemistry is one of the most important things on the ice.”

Federico said if a team doesn’t have chemistry it “falls apart very quickly” and that’s why they take team bonding very seriously. He said he feels very comfortable and is able to be himself on this team, and he credits the upperclassmen for this.

“They make sure that everyone is included and welcomed,” Federico said. “We joke around and have a great time while playing the sport we love.”

One of these upperclassmen Federico has built strong chemistry with over the years is his older brother and co-defenseman Dom Federico. Dom has seen Federico play a lot of hockey over the years, and he has nothing but praise for his talented younger brother.

“He’s a very defensive-minded player and can see the ice very clearly,” Dom said. “He is a defenseman that you can rely on to have your back when you mess up.”

While the rink is cold, Federico’s game stays hot as he is always determined to work his hardest every time his blade hits the ice.

Patrick Murphy, by Jake Slide:

Patrick Murphy was among the few freshman to make the varsity roster for LHS last year and is looking to build off of a solid campaign. With the loss of seven varsity players (four of whom were seniors), Murphy knows that he and the rest of the team will have to step up this year.

“We will make up for the loss of players with hard work,” Murphy said. “We’ve been putting in a lot of work over the past year on and off the ice to improve team chemistry, and that has made us become a family.”

After a disappointing end to last season, the team has been working harder than ever to connect on the ice. They have all been playing for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs this fall season to build up their skills, condition and work on team chemistry.

Mike Slide
Patrick Murphy beats the Pinkerton defender in a race for the puck en route to a 3-1 victory on the road.

“Our team is ready to put last year behind us,” Murphy said. “We’re all going to lifting and have been playing really well for the Monarchs. We are all ready to get back on the ice and represent LHS.”

With his rookie year behind him, Murphy is training harder than ever to prep for this season and make sure they don’t falter again in the first round. Murphy said they are “playing harder than ever” in every game to make sure they are ready.

“We’ve been putting in extra time and playing every game like it’s our last,” Murphy said. “The biggest thing that will help us get past the first round this year is how many seniors we have. They know that it’s their last year and won’t stop working until the last buzzer sounds.”

One of those seniors, Sean Cotter, is very excited to play with “Little Murph” this upcoming season. They have been playing well together with the Monarchs and are hoping it will translate into the high school season.

“Playing with Little Murph is one of the best things about this season for me,” Cotter said. “His intensity and hard work on and off the ice has made me, and everyone else on the team, work harder and has made us all better players. I love playing hockey with him.”