Winter Preview: Boys’ Indoor Track

Junior+Brian+Metro+is+expected+to+be+one+of+the+top+long+distance+runners%2C+according+to+Freire.+
Karen Wasserman
Junior Brian Metro is expected to be one of the top long distance runners, according to Freire.

When a team is able to put themselves in record books, it’s always a challenge to repeat that success. But the boys’ indoor track and field team will look to accomplish that feat this season.

Coming off a very successful season last year where they placed 2nd in the state and in the top five for best teams in NH history, the team has set the bar quite high for themselves.

It will not be easy to replace their graduated runners, according to senior Kyle Freire.

“Seeing as we lost a lot of good talent last year, it’s doubtful we will be as good as last year,” Freire said. “But we still have the talent to be a top three or four contender.”

The team will need to see some new faces step up to the challenge this year, as they lost top runners like Noah Schrank, Josh Wasserman, Mark Gigliotti, Derek Davies, and Trevor Guay.

“This year, [senior] Chris Zaino will be our number one guy,” Freire said. “Guys like [senior] Declan Hotter and [junior] Brian Metro will be good for the long distance. [Junior] Zach Ford and [sophomore] Khalique Bagley will be our top sprinters.”

The boys start the season this Saturday, December 17 with their first meet at the University of New Hampshire.