Spring Preview: Girls’ Track and Field

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Preview: Girls’ Track and Field

Enwright pushes ahed in her race. Enwright is one of a handful of returning racers for the Lancers.

Photo by Julie Wasserman

Photo by Julie Wasserman

Photo by Julie Wasserman

Bryan Murphy, Sports Editor

The girls’ track and field team will look to reach and perhaps surpass their success from last year, but they will have to do it while filling in key spots on the team.

The girls graduated one of the best athletes in the state in Yorgelis Ortiz, who won the 100 m dash, 200 m dash, and was a second place finisher of the long jump, along with pole vault champion, Jordan Dufresne. These girls led the team to a third place finish at the DI meet last year.

“We graduated a lot of talented athletes last year,” senior Devyn Enwright said. “But the new and impressive talent that we have gained this year more than makes up for it. We have quite a few youngsters with a lot of power and potential and I’m extremely excited to see them progress and grow over the season.”

Enwright is confident that the team will step up this year. The team is full of both senior veterans and younger underclassmen that will help the team to success. Along with Enwright, returning seniors to watch are Bella Ziolek, Elise Goodspeed, and Gretchen McGrath. The underclassmen to watch are juniors Kalin Gregoire and Jess Brien and sophomores Alivia Proulx, Suzie Moore, and Maddie Croteau.

“We have such a great group of young ladies that are going to do great things this year,” Enwright said. “I think that everyone has the potential to be a top performer.”

The girls’ first meet is this Friday, April 14, at 4 away at Concord.