It’s Okay to Not Feel Okay

With the fall season comes the constant talk surrounding college and future plans. A senior cannot see any adult figure without them asking the dreaded question, “Where are you going to college?”

Some students have already committed to schools, so their college application process is done. Others haven’t even been on any college tours. No matter which type of student you are, I am here to tell you that it is okay to not feel okay.

It may seem like everyone around you has a set plan of what they want to do in the future, but that is not the case. There are plenty of students that have no clue where to start when it comes to college. 

It is okay to feel stressed and unsure. It is a tough process for every senior to go through. You have the rest of your life to figure out what you want to do when you graduate. Plus, there are people all around you that are more than willing to help you through the process.

There are many questions that come to mind when we talk about the future:

Is college right for me?

What would I major in?

Should I take a gap year?

Maybe I should go into a trade?

Community college or a university? 

Any one of these options could be great options for you. And the thing is, you have more time than you think to figure it out. If you change your mind, that’s okay. It is okay to change your decision in pursuit of what will make you happier in life.

There is an advantage to every choice, no one should judge you based on your decision. If someone does, remember that you know more about yourself than anyone else, and the choice is only for you to make.

If any seniors or juniors ever feel like you are drowning in the stress of decision making, reach out to your school counselor. Their job is to help you in all decisions school related. Everywhere you look, there is a teacher and counselor that will help you because they want you to succeed. 

Most importantly, remember to be kind to yourself. In the midst of COVID-19, this is one of the most stressful times to be picking a college. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t know what to do since it is hard to explore different career paths when we are stuck inside our houses. 

Whatever you choose to do after high school will be the right choice for you. You’ll be okay, seniors. LHS is rooting for you.