Nervous about finals, freshmen? Advice from upper classmen: Don’t stress the test

Photo by Rachel Court

As finals week quickly approaches, students are beginning to feel the stress. For freshmen it is the first time they will have to take finals, so they don’t know what to expect. While upperclassmen have a better idea of what to expect because they’ve taken finals before, they also know these finals mean a great deal as they look towards college.  

Here are a few words from freshmen and some advice to them from upperclassmen:

What the freshmen say:

“I’m nervous that I am going to fail or get a bad grade that will affect me and my future colleges will see that I did poorly.”

-freshman Ciara Amerena

“I’m nervous I am going to fail since it’s my first time taking finals. I don’t want to remember my first time failing, and I don’t want it to ruin my grades.”

-freshman Grace Chicko

“I’ve learned so much from the first week of school to now I am not sure I can remember everything that I have learned.”

freshman Sean Cavanaugh

“I’m nervous because I’ve never taken a test that has counted for so much. I’ve worked so hard these past few months to get my grades up, I don’t want them to drop. Having two finals a day scares me because I am worried about studying too much for one and not enough of the other.”

-freshman Gia Komst

Upperclassmen advice to freshmen:

“Don’t kill yourself over the test and don’t wait until the last minute to study. If you don’t understand something make sure you ask questions and get help.”

-sophomore Ben Doris

“After a lot of stress I realized finals are meant to be harder than the average assignment and it’s okay if you don’t get a grade as high as you expect. If you put in a lot of hard work studying, your grade will show it.”

– junior Jillian Doris

“Make sure you study and take advantage of note cards if given, and lay out all the papers you think you’ll need beforehand, be organized.”

– junior Kalin Gregoire

“When I first heard finals were worth 20% of my grade I freaked out, but if you know what you’re doing and put in good effort, your grade is bound to be up to your standards.”

-senior Sarah Depasquale