New yearbook co-chief steps up

Photo courtesy of Rhiannon Black
The two new yearbook chiefs pose in Times Square during a yearbook convention in New York.

With taking pictures, gathering information, designing layouts, editing pages, and more, this year’s yearbook chief junior Rhiannon Black could use some more help.

To divide all of this work up and help out the entirety of the yearbook staff, they’ve decided to add a new co-chief to the class, junior Stacey Dee.

“With extra curriculars, work, and other commitments, especially with sports, it was difficult to be able to meet the goals I had set for myself to the standard in which I had wanted them to be,” Black said. “Although Stacey is relatively new to the staff, she has proven she has what it takes to do the job through her work as an assistant chief and designing the club’s pages with no prior experience. The choice I made to take Stacey on with me was due to the overwhelming amount of proofing right before deadlines.”

After an application process, it was decided that Stacey would be the right choice for the job.

“She has a lot of enthusiasm, and she’s a hard worker,” yearbook advisor Heather Diamond said. “I think she’ll learn a lot from Rhiannon, who has already done it this year. The two of them together are going to be a great team.”

Diamond hopes that the two will lead the staff well and introduce innovative plans to the class.

“I want them to be good leaders, because they’re going to need to bring a lot of good leadership qualities in order to run this staff,” Diamond says. “I hope they also bring some new, creative ideas to steer the direction the book is going to go in.”

After a year of struggling to get everything done in time all by herself, Black will have to adapt to having a partner in this coming year.

“Next year will only be different in the sense that I will have to learn to delegate instead of making the attempt to do it all myself,” Black said. “The proofing will be a little lighter, as it will be dispersed amongst two people, but I have no plans to give up what I love. I truly believe that with a little training she’ll be a great partner for next year.”

Though it will be more responsibility than this year, Dee is prepared to give it her all.

“I chose to run, because I felt that I have a good attitude for the role, and I could help out everyone in a positive way,” Dee said. “Rhiannon and I are good friends, so we work well together, and we almost always agree. I’m very excited to take on this responsibility, and I am ready for the challenge.”

With her two co-chiefs set in place, Diamond is excited for what next year will bring.

“I’m looking forward to putting together another awesome yearbook next year,” Diamond said. “It’s always fun, because even though we use a similar format every year, all of the people that are involved change, so to see the creativity in what students come up with to make it different from the previous years is the best part.”