Legends Assemble

Art by Myah Teague.

The beach is always a strange place. Not for the scenery or the water itself, but for the people and the interesting things that can be on its shores. Many times one can find large gatherings of seaweed and maybe the occasional dead fish or crabs. But one day on a normal beach, something out of the ordinary landed on the shore shaking the world as we know it.

Atlas sighed as he felt the sun on his bare back, enjoying the warmth that it brought to his  freezing body. Atlas was not human, far from it. From a young age, Atlas was gifted with the ability to create objects out of ice, causing his body to be freezing, which would cause a large amount of shock to a lot of people considering that he didn’t look it. Atlas was a good looking man with strong features, despite the long scar going over his left eye, having been present since he was a small child, although he could easily see out of it. Atlas was a 26 year old with a lean body, having gone through many years of rigorous training. His skin was a fine tan, adding to the brightness of his silver hair, which was usually a mess.

He ran a hand through his silver hair before his icy blue eyes fell on his wife, Aoki, as she gently laid down the blanket on the warm sand. Aoki was beautiful by all meanings of the word. She had long, midnight black hair that fell down to her hips. Her skin was a light pale as though she had not seen the sun for many days, although she was just naturally pale. Despite her pale skin her body looked far from sickly as she had a perfect hourglass figure that would make any model turn in a jealous fit. But she was far from ordinary. She was a fox hybrid: a human, but with added animal features. She had a large black fox tail that curled around her legs as her two ears twitched cutely. Nevertheless, Atlas loved her with all his heart having been married to her for four years. As he began to stare, Aoki turned to him, her bright amethyst eyes meeting his.

“I told you it was a nice day to come to the beach,” she said with a kind and soft voice.

“And I told you it would be packed.” Atlas replied as he waved his hands to the crowded sand. “I had to run through a few other guys just to get this spot.”

She laughed as she stood up, gently kissing his cheek, “I know you did. Oh were they steaming after that.”

He slightly blushed as he looked away, “I wanted to make sure we had a nice spot. I know how much you like the beach.”

Aoki smiled as she gently hugged him, “I know. Thank you honey.”Atlas smiled proudly as he wrapped his arms around the small woman’s waist, his deep blue eyes meeting hers. They kissed, smiling as they held each other.  

The moment was ruined as a loud explosion was heard shaking the beach. Atlas held onto Aoki as they both fell back, sand flying all around them. As everyone began to stand, one question began to swirl in Atlas’ mind. What was that? Atlas groaned as he sat up, coughing. As he got up he turned to Aoki, scanning her body searching for any wounds or bruises. She looked up at him, nodding her head to let him know she was fine.

“What was that?” a beach goer asked.

“It made a large crater over there,” another spoke up.

“Is it military?”

“The military wouldn’t be firing here!”

“It’s the Commies!!!”

“You fool it’s probably a publicity stunt for that new alien movie!”

Atlas’ brow raised  as the questions popped up, before turning his attention as he helped Aoki up. She smiled at him before she looked over at the crater. Some beach goers had begun to approach with extreme caution. As they peered in over the edge, they whispered to each other drawing extreme interest in Atlas.

He walked slowly to the crater, holding Aoki’s hand softly as they got closer. As they looked over the edge they saw inside the massive crater was a metallic sphere with a red circle in the center of the orb. Atlas looked at it surprised as a few policemen ran over, pushing through the crowd quickly stopping at the edge of the crater. The officers pushed the crowd back as a large helicopter flew over the site; a camera man began to snap a few photos. One of the officers looked over the edge, his eyes widening in shock as he looked at the mysterious object.

“Holy moly.” he whispered to himself.

Aoki looked to her husband, looking to see if he had any clue what the strange device was. But for once in a very long time, Atlas was stumped. The device looked like nothing he had ever seen before and for some eerie reason, it looked like a device of mass destruction. One of great proportions. Atlas quickly made his way to the officer putting a hand on his shoulder.

“You have to get everyone out of here,” Atlas spoke up.

“Sir, back away,” the officer replied as he kept pushing the people back.

“You have to get everyone out of here. We have no idea what it is.”

“Sir, I said step back,” the officer replied, aggravated.

“You don’t understand! You need to get everyone out of here!” Atlas shouted before getting pushed back by the officer.

“I told you to back away!” the man growled as a loud thunderous roar broke through the chaos. Everyone fell silent, each turning their attention to the massive crater as smoke began to rise up from the hole. The air began to get hotter. Suddenly a large silver arm rose up and slammed down on the ground, its thick metallic fingers gripping into the sand as another large arm sprouted and slammed down, shaking the beach. Both arms began to straighten out lifting the orb into the air. It begun to open up, creating a large mechanical body. The body was built strong, as if its body was hand-crafted by the gods of Mount Olympus. As its body reached over the edge of the crater, it’s massive legs stepped down into the sand, digging deep.

Its head was small, only having one bright light in the middle, glowing as bright as an active volcano, matching the larger one in the middle of its chest. It scanned the crowd as steam began to pour out of its joints. Atlas pushed Aoki behind him as he looked up at the mysterious machine, keeping his eyes on it. The creature let out a louder, more mechanical noise, everyone holding their ears to block it, Aoki pulling down her ears groaning in pain.

The officer pulled out his pistol, firing off useless shots that bounced off it’s metal chest. The creature looked down at him, taking a few seconds to register the attack before cocking back it’s arms throwing a punch. The officer screamed loudly as Atlas caught the punch, the air from the punch launching sand everywhere. Atlas groaned as he held the machine’s fist, his hand covered in ice.

“Jeez…you’re strong…” Atlas groaned as he looked to Aoki, “Get them out of here…”

She gave him a worried whine as she looked at him. Atlas looked over his shoulder meeting her eyes, giving her a heroic smile. She smiled pushing the officer back as all the beach goers ran off screaming as they did their best to get away. Atlas tossed up the creature’s fist, leaving it open for a solid punch. The machine flew over the crater landing in the water creating a massive cloud of steam. It slammed it’s hands into the ground as it looked up, only to be met with the sleek base of an ice bat launching it further down the beach. Atlas smirked as he twirled the bat proud of the strength of his hit.“Man I knew I should have joined baseball,” he laughed as he twirled the bat.

The machine stood up, its body releasing more steam as it dashed forward swinging its large fist  at him. Atlas smoothly avoided the punch, hitting the machine’s chest, following it up with a swift swing to the head. The machine stumbled back, holding its head as it stood straight, attacking Atlas again. He swiftly dodged its attacks, blocking a few with his arms before swiftly swinging his fist right into its jaw.

“Man, you’re pretty toughed for a glorified wind up toy!” he remarked as he swung his bat knocking it back.

The machine stumbled back, dazed. Atlas smiled as he charged again, swinging his bat, but as he swung, the machine caught it. Atlas gasped as he looked at it, surprised. It pulled him forward before hitting him with a powerful punch, sending him flying across the beach. Atlas groaned as he picked himself up, holding his jaw.

“Man it hits like a truck…” Atlas spoke to himself, before rolling away from the machine’s stomp.

The machine followed Atlas, doing its best to try and nail him with another powerful blow. Atlas kept dodging, bouncing around with ease, before stopping to form a shield blocking a strong punch. Atlas groaned as he pushed against the machine, groaning. Atlas rolled to the right, causing the machine to stumble forward crashing into the sand. Atlas quickly reacted, forming an ice long sword, slicing through machine’s arm before stabbing into its back. The machine’s head shot up before it swung back launching Atlas into the water before standing up. Atlas groaned as he picked himself up from the water shaking his hand.

Atlas dashed forward, avoiding the machine’s one armed punch, moving to its side before landing quick and strong punches. The machine swung its arm back missing Atlas again. He moved out of the way forming another ice sword, slicing it’s chest and knees before jumping up bringing the blade down on it’s remaining arm. The machine stumbled back looking at him.

“Looks like you’ve been disarmed!” Atlas chuckled.

The machine stared at him for a few minutes as a loud metallic noise rang out. Atlas held his ears as he was suddenly hit with a red beam of energy. Atlas yelled out in pain as he hit the ground, gripping his arms as he stood up. He looked down at the fresh burns, clearly third degree burns. He froze them over as he looked up at the machine. The machine stood straight as the red core in the middle of it’s chest steamed.

“It can shoot lasers?!?” Atlas shouted in surprise.

The machine charged it’s laser, launching a strong red beam. Atlas quickly formed an ice shield, holding it up to block the oncoming attack. As it hit his shield the ice began to melt. Atlas’ eyes widened in shock, as  the machine launched another beam, a green one, launching him across the beach into a snack bar. It shattered as he hit it, crumbling to piles of wood and destroyed snacks. Atlas laid on his back, every ounce of his body aching from the lasers and punches. Atlas struggled to get up from the rubble, having an even harder time as the machine pressed it’s foot down onto his chest.

“Oh man!” he coughed as the creature began to press down on him.

It made a loud mechanical noise as wires popped out of its arm sockets stretching to its sliced arms. In minutes, it fixed and reconnected it’s arms, turning to Atlas and reigniting it’s laser. Before it could fire, it was suddenly hit, launching it back across the beach.

“What the?” Atlas asked surprised, as he stood up.

“It’s been a while Atlas. How’s the wife?”

Atlas looked up spotting a woman, standing in front of him, dressed in a bright yellow jumpsuit that fitted her elegant form, with a bright orange sun in the middle of her chest. She had her long red and yellow hair tied back in an elegant braid, her bright purple eyes looking at him with joy as she gave him a kind smile.

“Lena. It’s been a while, huh?” he asked as he stood up.

“Of course. A years if I do recall,” she smiled as she looked at him, “I like the new costume.”

Atlas looked down at his slightly singed swim trunks before looking up at her,“I don’t think now is the time Lee,” Atlas replied as the machine stood up.

“So, what is it?” she asked hovering in the air.

“Well its definitely not Russian. Solarian?” he asked looking at her.

“No. The tech looks too war mongerish,”

“It’s definitely not god born. I would have heard the legends of it,”

Lena smiled, “Well let’s see how it does against me,” she smiled as she flew forward.

The machine cocked its arm throwing a powerful punch. Lena took the blow, shattering the arm to pieces against her body. The machine backed up looking at its shattered arm, before swinging at her with its other hand sharing the same fate. It looked at her, making multiple mechanical noises. Lena smirked as she threw a powerful punch knocking the machine’s head clean off. As it shut down, the noises began to grow quiet until all that could be heard were the waves crashing against the beach.

Lena chuckled as she looked to Atlas, “That was giving you trouble?”

“I weakened it for you,” he replied as he walked to the head, picking it up.

“Is everything alright?”

“I don’t know. It’s a hunch but I think this thing was adapting,” Atlas spoke as he examined the head.

“Adapting?” Lena asked surprised, “Like changing.”

“Yeah. This hunk of junk was learning. It was picking up on my moves and weapons and developing a strategy,” Atlas said tossing the robotic head, “It developed new abilities to combat new attackers as they were attacking.”

“You could tell all that from just fighting it?”

“You forget Lee. I’ve been doing this since we were kids,” Atlas said turning to her. “you pick up a lot with experience.”

“I guess you do. I never needed to,” She smiled proudly.

Atlas rolled his eyes, “Well not everyone can be bulletproof.”

“What? You jealous?” she teased.

“Far from it!” Atlas growled, “I was fine when I was younger!”

Lena laughed, before looking out to the water, smiling happily, “I do miss the old days.”

“Those were better days for us. No fear, no laws. Just us fighting for the right thing.”

“We can still do that.”

“Don’t start again, Lena,” Atlas sighed as he turned away, starting to walk towards the sidewalk.

“It’s true though, Atlas, it’s not such a crime to work for the government. Sure there are rules we have to listen to, but we can still help people!” she protested.

“Well I’m sorry I don’t like the thought of all those big wigs telling me what to do.”

“People are afraid, Atlas.”

“Of course they are! They’re scared of each other, of hybrids, the government, us!” Atlas shouted, “Nothing we do is ever gonna get us favor with them!”

“You don’t know that!”

“Do you? Look around! This is the reason so many of us gave up! No one believes in us anymore….” Atlas said looking away, “I’m barely out as it is.”

Lena sighed as a few helicopters flew over, “Atlas.”

“Yeah?”

“Call me if you need help.”

“Yeah sure.”

“I mean it. If you need anything. Call me.”

Atlas nodded as he walked away, finding Aoki, gently hugging her as she looked over his burns. She sighed as she gently kissed him hugging him happily. Lena watched as the military began to pick up the pieces, sighing as a few newscasters began to bombard her with questions.

“And that’s what she told me,” Atlas said as he took a drink from his glass.

“So she’s still convinced the military is the way to go,” a large man asked as his massive reptilian tail swayed.

“I don’t know, Titus. It’s all confusing to me,” Atlas sighed as he looked down at his drink, “I don’t know what to do.”

Titus sighed as he ran a hand through his sand colored hair, his light brown eyes scanning the room as if searching for the answer. He eventually placed a large scaly hand on his shoulder.

“You told us that it was never gonna be easy, remember?” Titus spoke up.

“Yeah i remember. What hell does that have to do with anything that I just said?” Atlas asked giving him a questioning look.

“Being a hero was never gonna be easy. We knew that. And yet we still signed ourselves up and got dressed up.”

“Hey! My armor is not a stupid costume!” Atlas growled.

“There’s that the blizzard like anger I know! Don’t put yourself down kid.”

Atlas looked up at him, sighing, “Of course it’s the damn croc that’s always giving me life advice.”

“Well it’s better me than Aoki. You know how she would react if she found out about this,” Titus joked as he took a bite of his large steak.

“Trust me. It’s honestly way better. If she found out I would be in a lot of trouble,” Atlas laughed.

Titus laughed with him, “Trust me. My dear Pandra is the same way.”

“How is your little one, Dracona, by the way? I heard she started school.”

“She did.You should have seen her face when she got home,” He laughed.

Atlas laughed with his friend, “It’s hard to think you and I are married.”

“Yep. Who would believe a couple of hard headed idiots like us got wifes,” Titus replied.

“I’m just glad I got my Aoki,” Atlas said as he finished his meal, “best get going. Wouldn’t want her to worry.”

“Yeah. I better get going to,” Titus said standing up.

“Stay alive handbag,” Atlas jokes.

“Stay alive too ice cube,” Titus joked back before walking out.

Atlas walked to the counter paying for both their meals, looking up at the small television broadcasting the news. The casters spoke seriously as they focused on the landings of the machine men and the fights that had taken place after the landings. As he pulled on his coat, the newscasters showed an old picture of him.

“And on another note, the infamous vigilante known as the Ice Knight was seen at the scene of the crash site doing battle with mechanical creature,” the female newscaster spoke.

“I’m sure he was the reason that thing showed up,” a customer spoke up

“He’s probably working with those damn commies,” another replied.

Atlas  sighed before he walked out of the digging his hands into the pockets of his pants. As usual, everyone always believed what they heard. Not what was actual facts. This wasn’t the first time, however. Many people were called traitors of their country after the war, just for speaking wrong or for wearing the wrong color. As he walked down the sidewalk he looked up, seeing Aoki walking down the sidewalk. She smiled as she ran over to him hugging him with her long sleeved arms. He happily hugged her, taking off his coat wrapping it around her shoulders. She smiled and held it closer to her body.

“What’s the matter Ao?” he asked as he gently kissed her head, “missed me?”

She sighed as she kissed him, “Of course I did. It’s warm without you. How did dinner go with Titus?”

“It went well. The food was terrible, but seeing him again was cool!” he smiled as she gently held his hand.

She rested her head on his shoulder, as they kept walking, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine.”

“No. I mean. Are you okay from the beach?”

“Yeah….”

“Atlas. Please tell me honey,” Aoki replied sweetly.

“Physically, I’m fine. I just needed to rest and heal, but mentally…… That’s a bit difficult.”

“What’s bothering you? Lena?”

Atlas shook his head, “No. It’s just what’s been going on…with everyone and heroes.”

Aoki stopped and placed both her hands on his cheeks, “You are not a communist! You are not a traitor! Your my husband and a hero in my eyes.”

He smiled as he gently held her hands, “Thanks Aoki.”

She gently kissed him, before grabbing his hand, “Now let’s go home…it’s getting late.”

“Aww c’mon. For someone with the power to shoot dark fire you can’t handle the night?” he joked as they walked.

“Don’t start or your sleeping on the couch,” she glared at him playfully.

He kissed her cheek, “Oh come on! You know you’d come out to the couch with me.”

She giggled and kissed him, “You’re right. Remember when we were younger when I literally had to lay on you to keep you from going out in the middle of the night?”

He smiled as he nodded, “I remember fondly. Always enjoyed cuddling you!” he said hugging her.

She laughed happily as she kissed his cheek, “Aye you! Now lets get home before I decide to.”

Lena quickly paced down the halls of a secret government facility. Her boots made her steps louder as she opened the door into a room with multiple monitors. At a long table in the room, multiple men dressed in black dress suits, argued.

“How do we know this isn’t just some random coincidence?” one of them spoke up.

“Coincidence? Are you kidding me? There have been several landings. If anything, this was a planned event!” another replied.

“It’s obviously the Commies over in Russia! I say we blow those bastards to hell and be done with this matter!”

“Gentlemen. Can we be logical for once?” an older man in a general’s outfit spoke up, “These attacks are nothing of our world. In fact. If I may be so bold, these aren’t of our galaxy,”

“How can you know that for certain?” one of the men asked.

“Our boys up in the Pentagon got their best scientist trying to calculate the trajectory of these things,” he said as one of the screens lit up with the trajectory, coming from outside earth’s atmosphere, “Does that look like it came from any Commie?”

“So if we are being invaded, how do we prepare for that? I mean it’s clear to see that they have technology beyond what we are fit to handle Alexander?”

“Well I’ll tell you.” General Alexander spoke as he hit a button on a remote, each of the monitors showing footage of people fighting the machine men, with extraordinary powers including Atlas.

“You want us to use vigilantes?” a man laughed, “We might as well just ask the Russians for help.”

“These vigilantes are the only ones who seem to be strong enough to fight these invaders,” Alexander spoke up. “I would rather send these individuals to fight them than send our normal boys in green to their slaughter like lambs.” Everyone of them looked at each other, nodding in agreement. Whether they like it or not, this was their best plan.

“So? How do we get them to agree to this? I doubt their gonna be friendly with us after what the government has done.” someone points out.

“That’s where she fits in. Gentlemen meet our country’s hero, Orina!” the General said extending his hand to Lena as she walked in.

Each of the men looked at her, some a little skeptical, “Miss, do you believe you can get these heroes to agree?”

“I will do my best,” she said saluting.

The General smiled walking to her, “Your country thanks you, young lady.”

She smiled, “It’s an honor and a privilege.”

“Well I do need to ask you one question. Who will you start with first?” he asked.

Lena looked down for a second before looking back up at him, “The Ice Knight, sir.”

“The Ice Knight?” the General asked, a bit taken back. “I don’t think he would be so ready to help the government just yet.”

“I know, sir. But if I know anyone who can rally men and gods alike, it’s him,” Lena spoke confidently as she looked to a monitor replaying footage of him.

Atlas landed on the roof of his apartment building. He pulled off his helmet as Aoki landed next to him laughing happily as she pulled down her mask.

“Told you I’d get here first!” Atlas laughed turning to her.

“No fair!” Aoki laughed as she hugged him, “You rode the subway!”

“You didn’t say how we had to get home. You just bet who could get home faster!” he said as he lifted her up, spinning around.

“Atlas!”

Atlas and Aoki both stopped laughing as they looked up and saw Lena landing on the roof. Atlas put on his helmet as he walked forward.

“Lena. So what do I owe the pleasure?” he spoke sarcastically.

“I need your help, Al,” she said looking at him.

“You need our help?” he asked.

“Sounds serious if you’re asking us,” Aoki spoke up walking to Atlas’ side.

“It’s a matter of national security,” Lena said before smiling at Aoki, “How are you Ao?”

“I’m fine. How are you?” Aoki asked as her tail wagged.

“I’m fine as well,” she replied. “I heard the news! You two are expecting right?”

Aoki nodded happily, “We just found out!”

“Oh! I hope it’s a girl!” Lena laughs.

“Oh I’m hoping for a boy! I’ve always wanted a son!” Aoki smiles, Atlas smiled underneath his helmet.

Lena smiled too, “Sorry…I got away from what I needed to say…”

“What is it Lee?” Atlas asked. “Don’t tell me it’s about those things?”

“Metal Men is what the news is calling them,” Lena replied.

“Not very creative in my opinion,” Atlas sighed rolling his eyes.

“I know right! I thought they would have chosen something that sounded more interesting! You know! Something that would catch reader’s atten—” Lena pointed out before blushing, “S-sorry…I kinda got carried away again.”

“It’s fine. We haven’t seen each other in so long,” Aoki smiled.

Atlas nodded, “I guess it’s pretty boring with all those stiff necks if you’re this antsy just talking to us.”

“So boring! I can’t talk to them at all! All they care about is stupid statistics and Russia and space! Oh it just gets on my nerv-”

“Lena! Focus!” Atlas interrupted snapping his fingers.

“Oh! S-sorry….” she replied her blush deepening. “W-well they….I need your help.”

“With what?” Atlas asked.

“Getting the old gang back together!” she smiled.

“Forget it…”

“Atlas!” both women said in union.

“I’m not assembling the team just to help them. They broke us up.”

“Atlas, please!” Lena pleaded.

“Honey. She needs us,” Aoki pleaded.

“I’m not doing it. I refuse to put my neck on the line for those ba-”

“Can’t you just put it aside!” Lena blurted out. “I get it. Trust me I get it. But the Atlas I knew wouldn’t let that change a damn thing! He would’ve stuck his neck on the line and stood for what he believed no matter what!”

Atlas looked at her surprised as Aoki nodded putting a hand on her husband’s shoulder.

“So if you’re not gonna help. I’m gonna go find a hero who will take a stand,” Lena said turning away from him.

As she walked away, Aoki looked to Atlas as he looked down in thought, “Atlas? Are you alright honey?”

“Aoki…If I—”

“Atlas you already know wherever you go, I go,” she replied squeezing his hand.

He smiled at her before he looked to Lena, “Lee! Wait up!”

She stopped, turning to them with a smile, “So?”

“We’re in,” Atlas replied holding Aoki close.

To be continued…