Ovation Theatre Company puts on a show that’s ‘Rotten to the Core’

Photo by Meg Gore
The cast of Descendants ‘breaks this down’ in their final of the show.

The cast of Ovation Theatre Company’s Descendants has ‘so many ways to be wicked.’ Since September, the cast members have been working diligently to bring the classic Disney Channel Movie Descendants to the stage.

The musical follows Mal, the daughter of Maleficent, and her three best friends. They’re all children of infamous Disney villains who have been invited to leave their home on the Isle of the Lost, where all the evil characters live, and live in Auradon with the good guys. Evie is the daughter of the Evil Queen (junior Michaela Horan). Jay is the son of Jafar (Windham freshman Ryan Kaplan). Carlos is the son of Cruella DeVille (Groton junior Ethan White). 

Pinkerton Sophomore Alycia Leriche is portraying Mal, the conflicted protagonist of the story. Leriche said she is “so excited” to be “Rotten to the Core” and bring Mal to life on stage.

“It’s a movie that I’ve adored for seven years,” Leriche said. “So to be able to come back and get to act it out is almost like I’m living a movie I loved as a kid.”

The four evil kids take a stand. From left to right, Michaela Horan, Alycia Leriche, Ryan Kaplan, Ethan White. Photo by Meg Gore

Leriche reveals she’s most excited for the audience to see If Only. This song is one of the most popular from the movie, where Mal is deciding which path she wants to take.

“There’s a spin on the original song because it’s a duet now,” Leriche said. “It has just as much if not more of an emotional impact.”

Ovation Theater Company allows people of all ages to be a part of productions at their company. From kids as young as seven in Descendants, to adults in one of Ovation’s most recent productions of Something Rotten.

“There’s such a large age range and variety of kids in the cast,” Cast member and Londonderry sophomore Hannah Carroll said. “But regardless of that we’ve all worked so hard and everyone has put in the work.”

Sophomore Lizzie Sosa, a member of the ensemble, says she’s having “so much fun” in the show.

“Everyone is so sweet and supportive. It’s such a good environment,” Sosa said.

With a dance ensemble that really knows how to be ‘chillin’ like a villain,’ the cast members think Descendants is the perfect fun show for everyone to see this weekend.

Jennah Gunawan sings her wicked song ‘Evil Like me’. Photo by Meg Gore.

“Everyone in the cast is so talented,” sophomore Ava Amaro, a member of the dance ensemble, said. “I’m most excited for everyone to see Did I Mention because it’s very high energy and the dancing is really fun.”

Director and Owner of Ovation, Meg Gore said Descendants is an “enjoyable experience for the whole family.”

And “Did I Mention” that student tickets to the show are only $15 at ovation.ludus.com ?

“The music is edgy and the dancing is explosive,” Gore said. “You’ll be glad you took the time to see this show.”