KSC Owls have Keene eyes

Keene State Sign
Photo used with permission by Lancer Spirit alumna Steph Girard.

Keene State College has been a popular and notably underrated choice, for most New Hampshire students applying to colleges and universities. With an acceptance rate of seventy-five percent, Keene State College is slightly selective while still providing a competitive and diverse range of studies.

The most popular programs offered at Keene State are Education, Health Science, Psychology, Film Studies, Safety Studies, English, Management, Sociology, Communication, and Safety and Occupational Health Applied Sciences. Always willing to update and modernize their courses, Keene State offers over forty programs of study ranging from Nursing to Holocaust and Genocide Studies. Some of its nationally exclusive programs, like Gender Studies, are one of its biggest selling points to most applicants.

With over six thousand students in attendance, the student organized aspect of the college is undoubtedly diverse. The clubs on campus range from Humans vs. Zombies to the Feminist Collective.

The college also offers over eight different sororities and fraternities for students to pledge in to. Offering varsity sports, club sports, Greek life, and social clubs, Keene allows limitless opportunities for every student to become familiar with the school and fellow students.

Somehow described as both urban and rural, the campus is what seems to set Keene apart from other colleges. Keene, located in the Monadnock region, is quietly situated in the lower left corner of New Hampshire. Its rural surroundings, however, are not to be dreaded. Mount Monadnock, America’s most climbed mountain can be seen in the background from any location at Keene State. And for those less inclined to hike, raft, or hop from lake to lake, Boston is only a two hour drive by bus, while New York City and Montreal are both only four.

If you have no desire to leave the campus, most of the housing and Greek life is situated right in the center of downtown Keene. The streets are lined with pizza joints, coffee shops, boutiques and book stores. Street performers are always playing on the curbs of the street, and most of them can be recognized as students trying to make a little extra money.

Class of 2015 graduate Stephanie Girard adamantly believes that Keene State isn’t given enough credit for all that it offers.

“I chose Keene State because I love the close-knit feeling of the campus. It has a comfortable vibe, and I feel like I’m at home here, a lot of college students don’t have that,” Girard said.

The campus has something for everyone, and has consistently been able to appeal to students of all cultures for over one hundred years.

Keene State College quick facts

• Location: Keene, New Hampshire
    in small city, urban setting, residential campus
  • Size: medium
  • 4 year, liberal arts
  • In-state tuition: $12,776
  • Acceptance rate: 75%
  • Application due date: April 1
  • Average GPA – 3.0
  • Average SAT – 1500
  • Average ACT – 20
  • Sports: Division 3
  • Mascot: Owl
  • Support services available for counseling & wellness, academics, disabilities