Lancer basketball looks to get back to UNH

Photo by Grady Daron
Senior small forward surveys the court in the Lancers’ game against Spaulding. The Lancers sit at 2-3 on the season.

The boys varsity basketball team plans on coming out hot this season after a devastating loss in last years division one semifinal game. The loss will motivate the team to strive for a better outcome this season. 

“The season should be a good one, but there are a few competitive teams we’re going to have to go up against,” senior shooting guard Alex Tsetsilas said. “We just have to grind and stay focused on our goal…getting back to UNH.”

The boys’ way of making it far this season will depend on how much hard work they put in, on and off the court. Their skills will be tested and the true leaders and competitors will need to come out to in order to have a successful season. 

But success doesn’t come without hard work. For any team to succeed they need to practice, learn, and make chemistry with their teammates. 

“Lots of hours of hard work and dedication goes into our practices every day,” senior small forward Cole Keegan said. “Making sure we have a good game plan going into each game will help us be prepared for what we are facing each week.”

Due to the loss of two valuable seniors from last season, Ethan May and Max Derosiers, the boys must step up and certain players will have to fill these two player’s spots. The seniors looks to have a big role this season and will help lead the team to victory. 

Alongside Keegan and Tsetsilas, there are a few underclassmen that should stick out this year. Returning varsity players, Juniors Wil Reyes and Jackson Cox, plan to step up and have bigger roles this season. 

“Last year, as a sophomore, I didn’t think I was going to get the playing time that I did,” Reyes said. “I plan to utilize my moments and take over when we get the ball on offense.” 

The Lancer’s underclassmen will be a big asset to the varsity team this season. With Cox and Reyes alongside the varsity returners, the Lancers will be a hard team to stop on their quest back to UNH. 

The Lancers had three games that are away, and recently had a big win over the Bishop Guertin Cardinals on this past Tuesday, Jan. 7. The boys won 62-46, with leading scorers Cox and Tsetsilas helping the team win the match up. 

Tsetsilas summed up the team’s energy with four words for this upcoming season, “It’s ring season, baby.”