‘Does your mother know’ the drama club announced this year’s musical?

The drama club has chosen to put on Mamma Mia as their annual musical. (Photo created on Canva by Kelly Egan)

On Wednesday, Sept. 6, the drama club announced this year’s annual musical.

The advisers and the executive board of students have decided to showcase the music of ABBA in the smash hit musical, Mamma Mia.

The musical premiered in 2001 and was written for the screen in 2008. Mamma Mia tells the story of young Sophie and her mother Donna. Sophie is preparing to get married at only age 20 in the Greek Islands, where her mom owns and runs a hotel. Sophie’s father’s identity is unknown, and without any other siblings, her and Donna grew up with only each other.

As her wedding date gets closer and closer, Sophie falls deeper into her dream of having her father walk her down the aisle. Out of curiosity and determination, she reads her mother’s diary from her young days, and finds three possible suspects as to who her father could be. Without Donna’s consent or knowledge, she invites all three candidates to the island just days before her wedding in hopes to find out which one is her dad. 

The show was incredibly successful on Broadway, lasting twelve years and presently holding the spot for eighth longest running musical of all time. The musical’s success led to Universal Pictures rewriting the musical as a film, starring Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried as Donna and Sophie. 

Directing the musical will be middle school music teacher Molly Goldstein. This will be Goldstein’s third year leading the school’s production, as she directed Freaky Friday and My Fair Lady.

Music directing the show is LHS choir and music theory teacher, Danielle Loschiavo. Loschiavo has been teaching in Londonderry since 2001 and has overseen many LHS productions. This will be her fourth year music directing the school’s musical.

Two LHS students have stepped up to choreograph the production. Juniors and executive board members Mason Turek and Maddie Tufts were given the opportunity to assist in choreographing last year, and Goldstein has given them the opportunity to reprise their positions. 

Audition dates are TBD, and the musical will be performed on Feb. 15-17, 2024 at the Derry Opera House. Stay tuned for updates on audition dates and how to buy tickets. Please contact Goldstein, Loschiavo, or Ryan Barrett for more information.