Holiday spirit is holiday spirit is holiday spirit

So don’t get your stockings in a twist.

It’s a scene from your nightmares. You drop a quarter in the Salvation Army bin, and are confronted with a cheerful, “Happy Holidays!” How dare this stranger not know specifically which religious traditions you follow and say something so general! The audacity of this person to wish you good in life!

It sounds a bit ridiculous until you realize that people are genuinely offended when someone wishes them, “Happy Holidays,” or get upset over public displays of holiday spirit.

If someone wishes you, “Happy Holidays, “Merry Christmas,” or “Happy Hanukkah,” they are trying to be nice. Their intentions are genuine, and they want whatever you celebrate this holiday season to go well.

There isn’t a James Bond in this country who finds out which holidays you celebrate and which you don’t, then gathers the intel they need to plant themselves in a perfect public setting, strikes up a conversation and just when you think you’re safe, yells out, “Merry Christmas!” or “Happy Hanukkah!” Then sulks back into the grocery store aisle, petting a cat and laughing wickedly.

So don’t get offended by the word choice of your well-wishers. Simply saying, “Happy Hanukkah!” isn’t their attempts to convert you to Judaism, and saying, “Happy Holidays!” isn’t an attack on Christmas. (Which, news flash, isn’t the only holiday celebrated in December, and is certainly not under attack.)

The holidays are a time to be accepting of people of all different religions, ethnicities, and beliefs. It is a time for joy and spirit. Don’t ruin it by getting up in arms about how someone wishes you a good season.