Santa belongs in No-ho ho ho-vember

Courtesy of Olivia Hamel
Ogunquit, Maine decorates early for Christmas in November.

The first snowfall of the year happens, and just like that, the holidays have begun. The air is crisp and has the aroma of fresh pine. Stores have started their annual holiday sales and Christmas joy is spread through the sound of music and the smell of peppermint candles. It’s not too early, start celebrating.

The holiday season brings happiness and cheerful spirits. It’s one of those things that is very difficult to dislike, however some seem to think there is such a thing as “celebrating too early”. When ‘All I want for Christmas is You’ by Mariah Carey starts making its way back up on the charts, it’s time to take out the Christmas lights.

Smelling hot chocolate and hearing the classic bells of Christmas gives off a serotonin that can’t be explained. It’s nearly impossible to get upset when you know in just a month, Santa Claus is coming to town.

After watching that first holiday commercial, it’s hard to stop there. The thought of drinking warm cocoa and stirring it with a candy cane is beyond calming. Listening to the crackle of the fireplace as you scroll through Netflix to find a Christmas movie makes me forget it’s still fall. I’m not saying go crazy and take out the decorations in August, but if I want to start celebrating Christmas in November that shouldn’t be a problem.

It doesn’t matter if it is November or December, Christmas music will always give off a joy that nothing else can. Christmas music is going to be played on almost every radio station there is in just a few weeks, so there’s no point in waiting. 

The excitement I get and the joy that the holidays bring shouldn’t have a time period. The best part of the holidays is the weeks leading up to Christmas. 

Frantically trying to get everything down on your Christmas list and constantly searching the web for gifts for family and friends gets my mind off of the stressful things going on in life. 

The moral of the story is don’t be a Grinch. Listen to that Christmas song, spend too much money on gifts, watch Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer, and don’t pay attention to the fact that it’s November.