Retail etiquette: A Karen’s guide to human decency

Art by Ash BarNoy
Working in retail can make anyone feel like they have a target taped to their back, especially during the holidays.

The holiday season has always brought a frantic, hasty energy entirely its own. The bustling stores and increasingly growing lines starting Black Friday weekend can make even the calmest places feel chaotic at times.

But in comparison to past years, this year has been like Armageddon.

Long lines of frustrated customers serpentine through stores and out the front doors, and these crowded spaces leave plenty of room for retail workers to feel the wrath of the public when things don’t necessarily go their way at checkout. On top of that, COVID-19 has pitched its own round of agitating factors; tantrums over masks are thrown almost daily and plexiglass partitions can cause frustrating miscommunications. 

You’ve probably heard stories about grown adults having meltdowns over an expired coupon or a lengthy wait, claiming that “the customer is always right” and using these inconveniences as an excuse to take their wrath out retail employees in unacceptable ways; cursing, throwing merchandise, and yelling have become commonplace when something doesn’t quite go right. 

The word “tough” doesn’t even begin to describe this year as a whole, and trying to survive holiday shopping in the past as a customer has been difficult enough on its own. But, as a customer, there are simple things  you can do  to make your retail experience run a little smoother when things get irritating. 

Remember who you’re talking to

It doesn’t take a statistician to realize that the majority of people who work minimum wage retail jobs are teenagers on either their first or second job. It’s important to recognize that they’re most likely nervous and won’t know absolutely everything. It’s also worth remembering that you’re essentially speaking to a stranger and have no knowledge of anything happening in their personal life. 

Anyone can have a bad day, and coming into work can take a lot of mental energy while the pandemic demands a decision on the balance between personal health and meeting financial needs. They may not make as much money as you or know as much as you’d like them to at the moment, but all retail workers are deserving of your respect and patience.

Rationalize if it’s worth the fuss

Waiting in horrendous lines all day carrying armfuls of goods that you’re just trying to get home can make anyone irritable, but is an expired coupon worth cussing anyone out over? Spoiler alert, the answer is no. It’s easy to get caught up in the frustration of the moment, but it’s also important to remember that employees don’t decide personally whether or not you can use that voucher or can get a certain discount. Registers malfunction, sales may not ring up correctly, and coupons won’t always go through. It’s not a personal attack when certain things don’t go your way. 

Ask for Help

At a certain point, you may become so frustrated that the only option you can see is either asking for a superior or leaving the store altogether, and you shouldn’t always resort to the latter. The phrase “let me speak to a manager” has become a huge meme on the internet, so much that Spirit Halloween put it on a shirt to sell in their stores for Halloween this year. However, there’s really no shame in asking for a superior as long as you’re respectful about it. 

The holidays are meant to be a happy time where people are able to feel connected to one another, and this year, it’s more important than ever to remember the true meaning behind the gifts you give and the celebrations you participate in: togetherness. 

In both the physical and the emotional sense, the world is divided more than ever. It’s difficult to want to be kind to other people, especially strangers, when the world hasn’t necessarily been kind to you, but while your patience is appreciated, it is that kindness that is truly valued.