Filed under Briefs, News

Spotlight on electives: Build your perfect schedule with these ‘must-have’ classes.

ProgramofStudiesAdThere are more classes beyond the core classes, so know your options. 

When selecting which courses to take next year, you can either close your eyes, click on random pull-down menus on X2 and hope for the best, OR you can create your dream schedule by doing one or more of the following:

• Read through the Program of Studies. Just a quick click on the box to the right will take you directly there.  To see individual class descriptions, click on the “course catalog” tab on the top right of the page.
  • Talk to other students about different classes they’ve taken.
  • Discuss options with teachers and your counselor and get recommendations on which classes would be a good fit for you.
  • Check out the various electives offered at LHS!

Listed below are course descriptions divided by content area and written by teachers for YOU, so you can get a more in-depth look at the variety of electives available for next year.

NOTE: There are MANY other electives offered at LHS.  The classes listed below are those that teachers wanted to highlight for students.

Business & Computers

Course Name:  Yearbookholidayorderformimage1_2016

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

In the Yearbook course, you will be an official member of the Londonderry High School Reflections Yearbook staff and be a part of creating this exciting, historical publication that everyone looks forward to at the end of each school year.

Yearbook class provides you with the opportunity to learn in many areas (photography, graphic design, image editing, writing, online desktop publishing, proofing, print publication process, business) and you will have the chance to pick the areas you want to focus on. You also gain beneficial life skills such as communication, time management, team building, problem solving, and leadership.

Work completed in Yearbook can even be included in portfolios or pointed to as evidence of running the business side of a large organization. Not only does Yearbook fulfill your computer graduation requirement, but also many students have used their yearbook experience on college transcripts and in interviews as proof that they have done “real world” work.

Course Name:  Introduction to Programming I

Teacher:     Mrs. Provenzano

Computers are everywhere and computers run using software.  Programming creates that software.  In this course you will develop problem solving and critical thinking skills that are necessary for any career, but especially in engineering, math, and the sciences.  The courses are project bases, so few lectures and lots of computer time creating application, games, and graphics.

Desktop Publishing

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

If you want to learn how to create exiting visuals using computers or advance your current creative skills to a new level, then Desktop Publishing is the course for you! This class teaches Adobe InDesign and Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud) which are essential for success in many graphics fields. Graphic artists and digital publishers choose Adobe applications as the foundational software necessary to bring all page elements together—type and traditional and digital artwork. Learn basic principles of typography, graphics, and layouts needed to create effective and pleasing advertisements, brochures, newsletters, greeting cards, posters, business cards, letterhead, invitations, menus, programs, calendars and more!

Course Name:
  Web Development/Design I & II

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

Are you intrigued by how all that stuff got on the Web and want to create your own site? There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes of a Web site. The basic stuff behind all web sites is HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). In Web classes you learn skills in these areas as well as producing graphics with Adobe Photoshop CC and web authoring with Adobe Dreamweaver CC. At the end of each course, you have the opportunity to build your own web site.

Course Name:  Animation for the Web

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

Become a computer animator! Learn how you can use Adobe Animate CC to create a variety of animated content such as cartoons, advertisements, games, and other interactive content. Creating characters with drawing tools, tweening, morphing, adding motion paths, setting up timelines, and creating story scenes are just some of the topics covered in this class. All projects are hands-on in the computer lab. Sign up and bring your creative ideas to life with animation!

Course Name:  Computer Hardware and Repair I

Teacher:     Mrs. Provenzano & Mr. Sampson

Enjoy tinkering with computers and seeing how they work?  In this course you will learn all the ins and outs of a computer’s hardware and operating

system.  Online learning plus hands on labs will teach you how to build a computer as well as develop problem solving skills and teamwork while troubleshooting common computer problems.  This course also offers college credit through the Running Start program.

Course Name: Introduction to Business

Teacher: Mr. Greene

If you weren’t the lucky winner of the $550M Powerball jackpot purchased in Merrimack, NH recently then you’ll probably be entering the business world someday (AKA getting a job.)

Not sure what you want to do for a living yet?  If business is “on the radar” then this class just may be for you.  Want more information?  Stop by room 360 and see Mr. Greene. (AKA the school store guy.)

Course Name: Financial PlanningCommunications-2

Teacher: Mr. Greene

You’ll learn how to manage your finances so you won’t have to move back in with mom and dad AFTER you graduate from college!

This course is now a Running Start course.  Yes, now you can learn some great money management skills and receive college credit at the same time.

Course Name: Business Management

Teacher: Mr. Greene

Do you consider yourself a leader? Want to become a leader? Then this course is for you. Business Management introduces and develops skills necessary for effective leadership. Topics include key traits of strong leaders and motivation of others. You can even earn college credit upon successful completion of the course.

MarketingCourse Name: Marketing

Teacher: Mr. Greene

This class is designed for students who may be interested in a career in sales or marketing. There are lots of hands on projects where you will get the chance to work with your friends and make your own television commercials. You can even earn college credit at the completion of the course!

English

Dual Enrollment college courses are offered for college and high school credit through SNHU and LHS for a fee.  All courses are aligned with SNHU requirements.

Course Name: Public Speaking

Teacher: Mrs. Rich

This course encourages students to develop and stretch their abilities in a wide range of spoken applications.  Students will research, prepare, write, and deliver specific types of speeches.  When possible, technology will be integrated.  Students will also learn how to use presentation aides effectively as part of their experience.

Course Name: Honors College Composition

Teacher: Mrs. Kilgore-Prugh

This course focuses on instruction, practice, and mastery of various analytical writing styles used in and expected of college level coursework.  Narration, exposition, literary analysis, the position paper, the proposal, and other styles of writing will be addressed.

Course Name: Honors Creative Writing

Teacher: Mrs. Shank

This course exposes students to the craft of creative writing.  Students will explore point of view, characterization, dialogue, setting, conflict, imagery, poetic structure, and dramatic scene development.  It is the expectation that students will offer thoughtful and constructive criticism, as well as in-depth personal revision.

Advanced Placement

Students in these courses are strongly encouraged to participate in the Advanced Placement examination administered by the College Board in May.

Course Name: AP English Language and Composition

Teacher: Mrs. Giguere

This course focuses on college level work and teaches you to deconstruct arguments and rhetorical strategies in mostly non-fiction works.  You will learn to maximize your argument and/or effectiveness across different forms; you can expect a wide variety of writing.  In short, you will read a range of materials and focus on making your writing effective and clear.  The skills you learn in this class are broadly applicable to not only the humanities, but the social sciences as well.

Course Name: AP English Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Wooding

This reading intensive course focuses on college level work and teaches you to read and analyze works of literature with different lenses.  You will work to discover a work’s theme or intent, as opposed to analyzing its argument or effectiveness.  Your essays for class will be mainly analytical and you will be expected to use literary devices as evidence.

Course Name: CP Writing Workshop

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course is designed for students who desire to express their ideas and feelings creatively and analytically through disciplined writing.  Emphasis will be placed on developing previously learned skills.  Students will improve their writing through peer conferencing, editing, and student/teacher evaluation.

Course Name: Honors Writing Workshop

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course is designed for students already proficient in writing who wish to extend their proficiency through advanced styles of creative and analytical writing. They will improve their writing skills through peer conferencing, editing, and self-evaluation.  Recommendation of current instructor is required.

Course Name: Dramatic Literature

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course concentrates on reading, discussing, and the analysis of dramatic works from ancient times to the present, including comedies, social dramas, and satires.

Course Name: Writing Experience, Classic Film

Teacher: Mr. Brand

This course will link units to film genre.  Students will develop a number of writing pieces drawn from film classics.

Course Name: Science Fiction Experience

Teacher: English teachers may vary

This course is designed to stimulate the imagination through reading, writing, and investigation of science-fiction phenomena.

Course Name: CP Women in Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Shank

This course examines female characters in novels, short stories, poetry, and film. There is a strong focus on class discussion, personal connections, and current events about women.

Course Name: CP Contemporary Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Kilgore-Prugh

This course selects material used to enhance student appreciation of the post-WWII human condition.  There is a focus on timeless conflicts and issues we face today.  Assignments help students improve their critical and analytical skills.  Verbal and written expression receive emphasis, as does vocabulary development.

Course Name: CP Media Literacy and the Digital Age

Teacher: Ms. Murphy

Students develop media literacy skills through discussions, projects, and critical thinking to understand the motivation behind the messages constructed by media. The focus will be on how these messages impact the way we communicate, interpret the world around us, and what puts our privacy at risk in today’s digital age.

Course Name: CP World Literature

Teacher: Mrs. Kilgore-Prugh

This course is designed for students who wish to broaden their reading experiences with selections from European, Greek, African, Latin American, Icelandic, and East Asian authors.

Course Name: CP Science Fiction 

Teacher: English teachers may vary

Spaceships, swords, enchanters, the far future, the imagined past-literature of discovery.  We will explore dimensions of “speculative fiction” examining how its authors have confronted timeless questions from unique perspectives. ​

Course Name: CP Sophomore Humanities

Teacher: Mrs. McCabe and Mrs. Prough

Sophomore Humanities– an alternative for sophomores that blends your U.S. History and English requirements together in one project-based class.

If you enjoy discussion, art, music, drama, and group projects this is the class for you.

IMG_1726 (2)

Course Name: Sports Journalism

Teacher: Mr. Brand

This course is designed to expose students to different genres of sports writing:  novels, film, feature stories, and daily reporting.  Students will review sports writing published online and in newspapers and magazines.

Course Name: CP Journalism I

Teacher: Mrs. DeWinkeleer

NOTE:

• Open to grades 9-12. May be used as a senior English for grade 12, but it is an elective for grades 9, 10 & 11. 
  • This full-year class fulfills the tech ed requirement.
  • Once you have taken J1, you can apply to be an editor in journalism 2.

When you take Journalism 1 as a class, you are automatically a reporter for the award-winning print and online publication The Lancer Spirit.  

As a reporter you will learn how to interview sources and how to write a variety of articles: news, features, sports, opinion, reviews, etc. You will get a press pass so you can cover school events and write articles that highlight what students and teachers in our school are doing.  

Plus, now that we have both an online AND print version of the publication, you will get the opportunity to publish your work in a variety of mediums.  Throughout the year you’ll do a lot of writing, but you’ll also learn about photography and design as well. 

We would also like to publish more podcasts, videos, artwork and photo galleries, so we welcome students who are talented in other forms of communication as well.

Please see Mrs. DeWinkeleer or any Lancer Spirit staff member in room 411 with questions.

Family and Consumer Sciences

Teacher Name: Mrs. Harmon

2Housing and Design – We look at housing designs, construction of houses, furniture history, styles of design, Line, Color all applied to interior design.

Human Relations – A class that’s all about you and how to develop healthy relationships. We talk about personalities, effective communication, decision making, Leadership, friendships, dating, love, marriage, stress, anger, and suicide.

1Independent Living and Money Management – To help prepare students to live independently. Topics include consumerism, banking, decision making, money management, banking, loans, buying and financing a car, credit, loans, renting, leasing, cooking skills, food safety, and laundry.

Teacher Name: Mrs. Gonyea

Introduction to Foods–  Introductory course for all students covering basic food preparation and baking.  Major emphasis is given to lab experience as well as cooking demonstrations.  If you like to cook or if you are looking to gain valuable experience while having fun, this is the class for you!

Foods II-  This class is designed for those students interested in a more in depth study of food with a major emphasis on lab experience.  Some topics covered include advanced food preparation, baking pastries, breads, pizza, cakes, cream puffs, cinnamon buns and more. We will also make an assortment of International and Regional foods.

Design in Clothing-  This class will focus on basic sewing skills and construction techniques.  Major emphasis is given to clothing construction, quilting and individual projects.  You will learn skills that will last a life time.  Interested in a career in fashion or interior design, then this is for you.

Clothing Construction- This class is for students who want to fine tune skills learned in Design in Clothing. Emphasis is given to selecting  appropriate fabrics  and patterns while constructing quality garments, quilts and individual projects.  You will also  learn about fiber identification, fabric construction and careers in fashion.  This is a hands on course offering valuable experience.

Parenting and Children-  This class is designed to help students learn about child development from birth to age six.  We will also examine the responsibilities, rewards and challenges of working with children and providing for their care.  We will work with children at Moosehill School and plan festivities for our annual Fun Fest

Interested in a career in teaching or working with children?  You may take this class for college credit through our dual enrollment program with SNHU.

Math

Course Name: Probability and Statistics B Level 

Teacher Name: Ms. DeArville

Mrs. DeArville said her new favorite math class to teach is PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS B level – At the perfect pace for those who might struggle with math comes Probability and Statistics B level.  You will learn about Standard Deviation, Confidence Intervals, Normal Distributions as well as Probability topics including permutations and combinations as well as other topics.

New topics, classwork, discussion and some homework this class is a great fit for all who have passed Algebra 2B and Geometry B!   Many colleges and majors need a statistics course, even if your major is a non-math major.  There are statistics courses for Psychology and other liberal arts… Come learn the basics with us!

If you have done well in math and completed Algebra 2A and Geometry A, then sign up for Probability and Statistics A level and continue learning at the right pace for you!

Course Name: Trigonometry (B level) 

Teacher Name: Ms. DeArville

Trigonometry is a great class for all who have passed

Algebra 2B and Geometry B!  (If you passed Algebra 2A and Geometry A – you will be able to see Trigonometry concepts when you take Pre-Calculus.)

My favorite lesson in Trigonometry is when we go outside and measure the angle of elevation to the top of the flagpole and then find the height of the flagpole using a simple equation.  It is great to see how it is used in the real world.  Many careers use Trigonometry including Criminology, Architecture, Construction, Game Development, Surveying, Aviation and even Music Theory and Production!

Course Name: AP Statistics 

Teacher Name: Mrs. Brennan

Interested in mathematics, engineering, business, biological sciences, or the social sciences? Or just want to know how to get better use out of your graphing calculator!? Then consider enrolling in AP Statistics! The purpose of AP Statistics is to introduce students to the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. This will be accomplished through the following major units of study: I Exploring Data; II. Sampling and Experimentation; III. Anticipating Patterns; and IV. Statistical Inference.

Phys. Ed./Health

Phys Ed.Course Name:  Interactive Physical Education

Teacher: Ms. MacLean

This is a physical education class which is an elective and is taken to help those students that have physical or emotional issues that get in the way of them being successful in a regular PE class.  These students work in a 1:1 environment which leads to a greater success. This is a great class for future teachers, science, or anyone working with kids.

Course Name:  Contemporary Issues in Health

Teacher: Mrs. Lafore

Interested in a future profession in the Health field? This class may be the perfect elective for you! Come join the Contemporary Issue in Health class. This course is designed to allow students to investigate a variety of health issues related to lifestyle choices and behaviors. Using class discussions and independent research students will examine several aspects of current health topics and trends and have an opportunity to develop and defend their own individual philosophies on these topics.

Course Name:  Healthy Lifestyles

Teacher: Mrs. Lafore

Need an elective? Looking for a class that is all about you?? Come join the Healthy Lifestyles Class. A class where you get to focus on yourself!! Explore topics of Nutrition, Fitness, Body Image, Stress Management and Positive Relationships through many guest speakers, field trips and fun classroom experiences. This class is open to all students who have passed Health or Wellness, PE1, and Sophomore PE Elective.

Some Quotes from students:

• “I really enjoyed the set up of this class and how each day covered a different topic.”
  • “It gives you a new outlook on yourself and the people you surround yourself with. It helps you maintain positive and remain stress free.”

School Publications

holidayorderformimage1_2016Course Name:  Yearbook

Teacher:  Mrs. Diamond

Course Name:  CP Journalism 1

Teacher:  Mrs. DeWinkeleer

NOTE:

Science

Course Name: Advanced Placement Environmental Science 

Teacher: Mr. Grant

What is biodiversity and does it matter? How does the Earth change over hundreds of millions of years?  How has evolution played a role in shaping today’s biosphere? Are humans changing the global climate on Earth? How have humans affected the Earth? The goal of the AP Environmental Science course is to provide students with the knowledge to answer these questions and many more.

During the course scientific principles, concepts, and methodologies required to understand the interrelationships of the natural world are investigated.  Students will be able to identify and analyze environmental problems both natural and human-made, to evaluate the relative risks associated with these problems, and to examine alternative solutions for resolving or preventing them.

Environmental science is interdisciplinary; it embraces a wide variety of topics from different areas of study. The AP Environmental Science course is designed to be the equivalent of a one-semester, introductory college course in environmental science. This course has been developed to enable students to undertake, as first-year college students, a more advanced study of topics in environmental science or, alternatively, to fulfill a basic requirement for a laboratory science and thus free time for taking other courses.

Students take several trips throughout the year including visits to the New England Aquarium and a field-study of Mt. Kearsarge.

This course is offered concurrently for high school credit and college credit through Manchester Community College.

For more information on these classes, click here to view a slide presentation.

Course Name: Microbiology/Biomedical Science and Technology

NAME CHANGE ALERT: Previously named Biotechnology (Honors or CP A option available)

Teacher: Mrs. Lawson

Grade 11-12

A note about Biomedical Science and Technology :

Students definitely entering human or animal medically related fields, several engineering fields, computer programming, etc. should consider taking these courses.  They are both college option courses and the 2 period class provides college credits for a college sophomore level microbiology course which is definitely a requirement in any medical field including bioengineering.

Course Description:

The biotechnology industry has exploded on both the local and national scale creating an expanding need for a trained workforce. Biotechnology is applied biology; it allows us to use organisms to make useful products. Traditional biotechnology products include foods such as cheese and bread. Some examples of modern biotechnology products include medicines produced in microbes, gene therapies to treat illnesses, crops that are modified to be more productive or nutritious, and organisms that can degrade environmental contaminants. Hands-on exposure to tools and protocols used in the field of biotechnology (including medical microbiology) will occur throughout the year. Therapeutic pharmaceutical manufacturing, medical diagnostic testing, forensics, agriculture, good manufacturing procedures, bioinformatics, and bioethics are just a few of the topics that will be investigated through the use of microorganisms and plants.

Students will have the option of taking this course for honors or college preparatory level A credit.

NCAA Approved.

Prerequisites:

CP Biology A or B, Honors Biology, or CP Biology A with Biomedical Science and Technology (formerly known as Biology Through Biotechnology)

Course Notes:

**Note: Double period.

Because 4 credits for a sophomore college level microbiology course are available, this course is recommended for students interested in pursuing a career in the medical or bioengineering/biomedical field.

Students have the opportunity to agree to an Honors Biotechnology contract.

Course Name: CP Biology A with Biomedical Science and Technology

NAME CHANGE ALERT: Previously named Biology through Biotechnology

Teacher: Mrs. Lawson

Grade 10

Course Description:

BiologyA with Biomedical Science and Technology is a tenth grade laboratory course designed to provide students with an intensive investigative approach to biological concepts. Through various hands-on activities (including extensive laboratory experiments) students will study a multitude of topics including, but not limited to, molecular biology, cellular biology, microbiology, genetics, immunology, evolution and ethical issues. These topics will be explored within the context of biotechnology, communicable disease and ecology. Through the use of research investigations, students will begin to develop laboratory skills and techniques that are valued in modern scientific communities. NCAA approved. ***College Preparatory A level course*** ***4 credit Southern New Hampshire University biology course***

Prerequisite: CP Freshman Science

Course Notes:
*Fulfills state requirements for biology

THIS COURSE IS OFFERED CONCURRENTLY FOR COLLEGE AND HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT THROUGH SNHU AND LONDONDERRY HIGH SCHOOL.

beakerCourse Name: Advanced Topics in Chemistry

Teacher: Mrs. Nazro

Thinking of becoming a Doctor?  Dentist?  Physician’s Assistant?  Biochemist?  Engineer?  Pharmacist?  Dietitian?

Advanced Topics will give you that extra advantage that no one would have:  Exposure to Organic Chemistry.

It is known that Organic Chemistry is the number ONE most often flunked course in college.  It is also THE course that Medical Schools, Dental Schools and Pharmaceutical Schools look at to determine if you have what it takes to continue on in these fields.  Research the colleges you are interested in and find out what courses you would have to take if you go there. 

If Organic Chemistry is one of the required courses, then you really should sign up for Advanced Topics.  It will help you achieve your goals and it will make a huge difference in how well you perform taking College Chemistry and Organic Chemistry.

Advanced Topics in Chemistry is an Honors Class.

Course Requirements:

*Honor Chemistry (SPAM) Grade no lower than a C

*CP Chemistry-A Grade no lower than a B

conorMaddieCourse Name: CP Forensic Science

Teacher: Mrs. Simpson

This is a one semester elective offered to sophomores, juniors and seniors.  This is a lab centered class that covers many topics in forensic science. Topics include evidence and crime scenes,  fingerprints, bite-marks, time of death, forensic entomology, blood spatter analysis, and forensic anthropology to name a few.

It’s fun, fast paced and hands on.

Course Name: Anatomy and Physiology

Teacher: Mr. Burgess

The Anatomy & Physiology class at LHS has become a very good class at preparing students for College Level Anatomy & Physiology. It is an excellent class for students interested in pursuing a career in the Medical field. Students who are interested in nursing, or becoming a doctor, surgeon, Physician’s Assistant, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Psychologist or Psychiatrist, or a Veterinarian or similar careers typically take Anatomy & Physiology in college and beyond.

Since this class has a lot of memorization to it, taking the class for a second time in college usually results in a higher grade. Many of our past students have found Anatomy much easier in college than here at LHS. Even some students who weren’t very successful here have earned A’s in college.

skeleton1

We cover Human Anatomy and Physiology and cover the entire college text book in the Honors and A level and Most of the book in the B level. The class covers the topics at a College pace for the Honors and A level. The students are required to complete dissections. There has been a lot of research recently on the benefit of actual dissections for learning anatomy over other ways of learning anatomy. The students will dissect a cat and various organs.

Levels Offered
There are currently 3 levels of Anatomy & Physiology offered at LHS: Honors, A and B.

The Honors and A level can be taken as a Project Running Start class and earn College credit. However, the student will usually have to take Anatomy & Physiology in college but often can receive credit for an elective or introductory Biology class.

Honors: This level is for students who have done very well in Biology or Honors Biology and Chemistry. Test questions are harder, more thinking type and open ended questions, and there is more work expected for labs and other work. It requires a lot of time for proper learning of the material for the assessments.

A Level: This level is for students who have been successful in Biology, Honors Biology and Chemistry. It is a good fit for students who have a lot of time commitments in other Honors or AP classes, work and athletics and other hobbies. It still requires a lot of time for proper preparation for assessments.

B level: This level is for students who have been successful at the B level of Biology and Chemistry. It covers most of the same topics as the A level but at a slower pace and easier testing. It still requires a lot of time for proper preparation for tests.

Social Studies

IMG_1729(2)Course Name: CP Sophomore Humanities

Teacher : Mrs. McCabe and Mrs. Prough

Course Name: AP comparative Government and Politics Globe.png

Teacher: Mrs. Mee

This is slightly different from other AP courses in that the curriculum is a bit more fluid and both global and contemporary.  The countries covered will be Britain, the US, Mexico, Nigeria, the Russian Federation, Iran and China.  Additionally, some time will be devoted to the EU.

As with other AP courses, requirements will be rigorous and preparation to take the AP exam in May will be first and foremost.

Come join the inaugural class, and be ready to work!

Course Name:  AP Psychology

Teacher: Ms.  Gagnon

AP Psychology is a challenging course that is equivalent to a college course and can possibly earn students a college credit by scoring well on the AP Exam in May. It is a course designed “to introduce students to the systematic and scientific study of behavior and mental processes of human beings  and other animals. Students are exposed to the psychological facts, DSC_0464principles, and phenomena associated with each of the major sub fields within psychology.

They also learn about the ethics and methods psychologists use in their science and practice” (Advanced Placement Course Description in Psychology). Solid reading and writing skills, along with a willingness to devote considerable time to homework and study, are necessary to succeed. The course incorporates hands-on activities in all units where applicable.

Course Name: AP US HistoryUS

Teacher: Mrs. Wakelin

This course covers United States History from pre-Columbian times and European contact to present day.  It is a fast paced, intense study of the political, economic, social, and military changes of the American landscape.  There is heavy emphasis on reading, analyzing, and discussing primary and secondary sources in preparation for the AP Exam. 

Course Name: AP Government

Teacher: Mr. Miller, Mrs. Prough

Like politics? What an in depth understanding about how our Federal Government really works? AP Gov is a full year course that explores Campaigns & Elections, the Media, Political Parties, Interest Groups, Civil Liberties, as  well as the powers of Congress, Federal Courts & the Presidency. This class will also examine the current political events that are driving the daily news cycle. AP Gov is a dynamic & rigorous course & is geared for academically minded students interested in American politics.

Students taking AP Government are not required to take Civics.  

Course Name: Philosophy

Teacher: Mr. Miller

You’ve heard of the World’s Greatest Philosophers – Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Rousseau, Descartes, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche…

What did they say about the Big Questions we have about our lives? What are we Supposed to do Here? How can I achieve the “Good Life”? What is Happiness? Sign up for Philosophy & discover what they said!

The class includes lectures & lively discussions as well as yoga every other Friday.

Philosophy is offered as a College Prep Course & also as an Honors Level Course.    

DSCN2471Course Name: World at War

Students were given a packet of catapult designs, and worked together to recreate these designs using specific materials, such as popsicle sticks and rubber bands.

Teacher: Mr. Courtemanche

The course is an in depth study of World War One and Two.  The class is very interactive with a lot of debates and discussions.  Students will learn all about the causes of both wars, the major figures during the conflicts, and the battles that took place.  There is even an outdoor mock battle. 

You can take the course as either honors or college prep.

NOTE: We also play with lots of puppies every day and Tom Brady visits class most Fridays.

Course Name: Current Issues 

Current Issues

Teacher: Ms. Tallo

In this class students get to discuss and learn about the major topics of the day such as gun control, abortion, human trafficking, the death penalty, etc…..

Students will also have an opportunity to discuss any issues that are currently being talked about by the media that they are interested in.

PoliceCourse Name: Law Studies

Teacher: Mrs. Mee

This class is a semester long, is offered both first and second semesters to juniors and seniors.  Occasionally I will allow a sophomore to take the class, but it is at my discretion.

It not only gives the students some practical knowledge of the Law, covering a variety of Law and Law enforcement fields, but helps students understand far more about #collegeandcareerready in many different areas.  

Guest speakers are a highlight of the class and movies supplement many of the discussion topics. Practical knowledge of your rights and how to protect them are covered even if you aren’t interested in pursuing this field. Join us!

Teaching (FEA)

Little LancerCourse Name: CP Practicing the Art of Teaching/

CP Exploring the Art of Teaching (FEA)

Teacher: Mr. Smith

So you think you have what it takes to teach? These two courses open to juniors and seniors promises an extensive exploration of the teaching profession.  You will have the opportunity to complete various career activities, including classroom observations, and create your own classroom lessons!  

In addition to learning the ins and outs of education, you will have the chance for valuable hands-on experience by teaching your own lesson to a group of actual students and by creating activities and games for Little Lancer Day!

Technology Education

Course Name: Digital Media Production (previously TV Production)

Teacher Name: Karen Robinson

NO PREREQUISITES. Open to Juniors only. Formerly a double period, NOW A SINGLE PERIOD. Student work shown on class YouTube channel. 

What will you do? Make short films, enter contests, produce music videos, try out 360 virtual reality, make spoof commercials, create single and multi-camera productions, shoot, edit and upload video from your phone, and gain professional experience from opportunities outside of class.

Graduates of the program have gone on to many different colleges majoring in TV, Video, Film and Journalism. Alumni are currently employed in many aspects of the industry from Boston to NYC to L.A.

Below is a compilation of clips from previous Media Production students’ work.

Course Name: Advanced Digital Media Production (previously Advanced TV Production)

Teacher: Karen Robinson

Open to Seniors only. Double period. Student work shown on class YouTube channel.

In Advanced Digital Media you’ll take the skills learned in Digital Media Production to the next level. Students enter film festivals, produce documentaries, mentor 5th graders recording their newscasts, and develop script-writing techniques. Working with clients, and utilizing appropriate social media for marketing and promotion is valuable experience used in any industry. By the end of the year you’ll have an online portfolio and a LinkedIn profile. We take time out to work on college applications too.

Former students are currently employed as a feature film editor, animation and motion graphics designer, an award-winning documentary filmmaker, and a crew member on “Live PD”.

Course Name: Audio Production and Podcasting (previously Radio Broadcasting and Production)

Teacher: Karen Robinson

Grades 9-12 ~ Podcasts will be heard on WLLO-LP, 102.9 FM and on lancerspiritonline.com.

What will you learn? Sound recording, audio editing, interviewing, scriptwriting and how to speak on-air. What kind of podcasts can you make? Well, what are you interested in? Music shows, film, TV, music or game reviews, sports talk, “Morning-style” talk shows, commentary on current topics, sports announcing, Lancer Nation news, or something else. Oh, and also you’ll create sound effects, record man-on-the-street interviews, and find out about some unique careers like voice acting. And what voice actor plays Bart Simpson (spoiler alert, not who you’d think).

Course Name: WoodworkingPicture2

Teacher: Mr. CiccarelloPicture5

There are many woodworking courses offered at LHS. Woodworking is not just for the student that wants to do this for a living but also for students who are looking for an enjoyable class where they can make some awesome projects while learning valuable skills.

The atmosphere is relaxed and students can work at their own pace with plenty of one on one teacher assistance. Many classes are designed for students with little or no woodworking experience. There is even an advanced level class that will challenge those experienced students to new heights!

Courses Offered: Exploring Woodworking Skills, Woodworking Technology, Advanced Woodworking Tech., Woodworking with Hand Tools, Entrepreneurial Woodworking.

Course Name: Entrepreneurial Woodworking

Teacher: Mr. Ciccarello

Have you ever dreamed of running your own business? Do you enjoy woodworking? Well, if you said yes to both of these questions this class is for you! In this class, students will form a small business and design and build custom wood products for real customers. Students will meet with potential customers, design their project, calculate material costs, give them a proposal, then actually build, and deliver their project to them just as if they were running a custom woodworking business.  Students will see firsthand, what is involved in running a business because they will be doing it themselves.

Prerequisite: You must have taken at least one of the following woodworking classes to take this course:

• Exploring Woodworking Skills
  • Woodworking Tech.
  • Advanced Woodworking

(Sorry – Woodworking with Hand Tools does not qualify as a prerequisite)

computer 

From the Tech Desk:

Some helpful hints about logging on to X2 

• Please remember to use ALL lower case letters when entering your User Name.

• Enter the same exact User Name and Password that you currently use to log onto a school computer.

• If you need assistance, please see Mrs. Hutchins, Tech Assistant, in Lab 218. 

• If your parents need assistance with their User Name and Password, please have them contact Abbey Sloper, Assistant Principal, House 1 at X2118.

1 Comment

One Response to “Spotlight on electives: Build your perfect schedule with these ‘must-have’ classes.”

1. Layna Holk on February 1st, 2018 11:18 am

As a senior I wish there was an article like this when I was an underclassmen- very informative!! I was unaware of all the classes that are project running start/dual-enrollment. GREAT article.