UVM offers diverse education in beautiful location

Church+Street+Marketplace+is+a+main+attraction+in+Burlington.+It+features++a+multitude+of+restaurants+and+stores+where+students+can+spend+their+free+time.+
Eric Brown
Church Street Marketplace is a main attraction in Burlington. It features a multitude of restaurants and stores where students can spend their free time.

uvm-chartThe University of Vermont (UVM) is the perfect school for someone looking for a campus that blends a beautiful setting with a close proximity to a city. Located right on the edge of downtown Burlington, the state’s largest city, UVM also sits between the Adirondacks and Green Mountains and is about a mile from the shore of Lake Champlain.

The school is medium sized, with approximately 11,000 undergraduate students. With a 78% acceptance rate and 77% six-year graduation rate, UVM is a good choice for any student.

Students who apply to UVM will apply into one of the seven colleges depending on their major, although they can apply undecided. Overall, there are over 100 majors, including 100 bachelor’s programs, 50 master’s programs, and 24 doctoral programs. The university offers an array of studies in almost every field, with majors and minors from engineering to horticultural science, and everything in between.

UVM competes in NCAA Division 1 athletics with seven men’s and nine women’s varsity teams, known as the Catamounts. For those who want to participate in sports but not commit to the varsity level, there are over 30 intercollegiate, intramural, and club teams. Besides sports, the school has over 100 other clubs with 80% student participation.

One of the most attractive elements about the University of Vermont is Burlington itself. The city is full of life, culture, and art, and it’s ranked the country’s #1 college town by Huffington Post. The campus is just a mile walk from downtown, where students can eat, shop, or see all the people walking their dogs. During the winter, which consumes most of the school year in Vermont, you can drive to the mountains in a hour to ski, snowboard, or participate in other activities.

If you’re interested in the University of Vermont, you can speak with a rep at the college fair this Wednesday night at 6:30 in the gym.