Advice to juniors from seniors

Art by Alp Okyar

Art by Alp Okyar

Art by Alp Okyar

Lily Lefevre and Abi Whitcomb

Dear juniors,

We write to you at the beginning of our senior year, where we both reflect on our junior year experiences.

Junior year is a great opportunity to grow academically. Although, we both agree on one thing: we struggled. Undoubtedly, junior year is the hardest grade level, as expectations are high and grades for this year weigh heavily in the eyes of college administrators.

Yet, we both survived with much perseverance. Freshman and sophomore year were preparing you for what was to come. The work ethic you learned is now crucial and is going to keep you afloat. Use the tools you’ve got in your academic toolbox: management skills, good studying habits, and using your resources wisely.

The management skills you have learned from the previous two years of high school are crucial. They are what will make or break you when it comes to having a balanced academic life.

With after school activities, sports, jobs, and homework; managing your time wisely is very important. You need to figure out what works best for you and stick with it. But, that doesn’t mean that you should stay up until 3 A.M working on a ten-page thesis paper because it “works”. What works for you needs to be healthy, but also keep a reasonable GPA.

The biggest part of your grades this year will be tests. Tests are not something to be sneezed at, because with low test grades, it becomes difficult to salvage a decent quarter grade.

The best way to combat this is studying. There is no “right way” to study because everyone’s learning style is different, but it is necessary to give studying your best effort. There are many resources online (such as Quizlet) that will make studying fun. Try a variety of things so you know what helps you succeed. With the right studying habits, you can pass even the most difficult of courses.

When it comes to junior year, using the resources teachers offer you is key.

If the teacher offers you a study guide for a big test, make sure you use use it to review the material you learned in class. Make sure to keep your notes and handouts organized and in a easily accessible place, so you can study at your own convenience.

If you are struggling with a lesson, most teachers are flexible to help you because they want you to succeed. Don’t be afraid to stay after school or meet with a teacher during a free period.

There are also many online resources— the internet is at your disposal— however, be careful not to use unreliable websites.
Junior year may be notoriously tough, but with the right attitude and tools it is conquerable.

Sincerely,

2018 seniors