Why community college deserves more recognition

Art by Myah Teague.

For juniors and seniors, choosing colleges can be either the most exciting or the most stressful time of your young life. Writing your essays on Common App (click here) while also applying for your Free Application for Federal Student Aid, also known as FAFSA (click here), can take a toll on you. 

For some seniors, however, a four-year institute may not be realistic or the best option for them. We all know college is expensive and is now turning into a luxury for the upper level of the middle class. As young adults, we are spending the equivalent of what our parents pay for a mortgage just to get a higher education for a degree that some of us aren’t even passionate in. 

It’s becoming more common for students to attend a two-year institute, also known as a community college, to receive a higher education. While looking at options for colleges your junior year, you may brush off the idea of attending a community college or it may not even come to your mind just because of the negative stigma that has been drilled into your brain. 

We have been taught through social media and through family ideals that the only way to make it in life is if you attend a “name brand” institute like Penn State or UCLA. Because of this, students will hesitate going to a community college because they don’t want to be looked down upon by their peers and family. Attending a community college isn’t shameful, and it’s time we debunk the myths that have been set in our minds and explore the benefits of attending a community college. 

Affordability

For a lot of middle to lower class families, college is one of the biggest worries  that will impact them. Financial aid does help a lot, but the overwhelming debt that will be left over is devastating. Families that may not be able to afford a four-year college education can start off at a community college for a significantly lower price. Even the students who don’t know what they want to major in can complete their general requirements, and perhaps they could explore a different career path than the one they would have taken if they would have went to a four-year right off the bat. 

Student life 

When you think of community college, you might not think that sports and clubs are offered there. However, that is actually false. For a good majority of the community colleges throughout America, like NHTI for example, have nine sports and 30 different clubs, some of the more populated clubs are the Student Senate and the Environmental Action Club. For students who are also in the workforce, community college is a great way to balance your work and school schedule to save money for your future. 

What happens after attending community college?

After attending a community college, you can enter the workforce or you can finish off your bachelors degree at a four-year state school. If you choose to go into the workforce, the stats are in your favor. According to CNN money Statistics are showing that students who graduate from a community college earn an average annual salary of $47,708 right out of school with minimal college debt, while students who graduate from a four-year institute went on to earn an average annual salary of just $36,552 in their first year, along with having crippling college debt for years to come. As of 2019, nearly 30% of Americans with associate’s degrees now make more than those with bachelor’s degrees after being in the workforce for ten years.

Whatever path you decide to take in life after graduating high school, whether it be a four-year college, a community college or even taking a gap year, make the decision that will make you the happiest.

Speaking of careers…

UPCOMING CAREER BREAKFAST:
Sign up in the Futures Lab (see two ways to do so below) to attend a career breakfast that encompasses careers in forensics, law enforcement, and even scientists! You will be able to meet state troopers, criminal investigators, police officers, paramedics, EMTS, and more. This event will be held by the Futures Lab on Wednesday, October 20, during both A and B periods. Attending this event will count as fulfilling the Career Exploration aspect of your CCR Goals.

How to sign up:

Click here for the Futures Lab website or send an email to [email protected]