Jessica Girvin casts on new knitting club

Juniors+Natalie+Merhib+and+Kaylee+LeBlanc+practice+how+to+cast+on+their+yarn+so+they+can+start+knitting.+
Domenica Vacca
Juniors Natalie Merhib and Kaylee LeBlanc practice how to cast on their yarn so they can start knitting.

Biology teacher Jessica Girvin has decided to bring her hobby to the Lancer community with her new knitting club to teach and give way to new interests. 

“It’s very relaxing and I thought it would just be a fun thing to do with the school community,” Girvin said. 

Girvin has been knitting for most of her life, being taught when she was in 5th grade.

“My mom taught me and we made dishcloths,” Girvin said. “Mine were crooked but I kept at it. I took a long break in my teenage years and then picked it back up when I was in my 20s, and I haven’t stopped.” 

Knitting club is open to anyone with or without prior knowledge of knitting or crocheting. Junior Elana Kenney has joined the knitting club without having any experience.

“[I wanted] something new to do,” Kenney said, “[like] a fun little hobby.”

The knitting club has caught the attention of those whose family members knit or crochet like junior Natalie Merhib.

“I really like crocheting,” Merhib said, “and I thought it would be fun to learn how to knit because my grandmothers used to knit and it got lost in our family, so I wanted to kind of pick it back up.” 

Currently, Girvin is working on spreading the word about her new club to the rest of the school.

“Word of mouth always seems to be the best,” Girvin said. “I tell my students and have the students that join tell their friends.”

Eventually, once the club has more members, they can knit in places other than the classroom.

“I’m hoping at some point we can knit more publicly,” Girvin said, “and people might see us and be interested and want to learn, join, or maybe hang out.”

Girvin hopes for the club to be “a safe place where people can learn”.

“People can come together and talk, laugh, and learn,” Girvin said. “Maybe when we get good enough, we can contribute to charitable things if that is something people are interested in.”