Fall Preview: Girls Soccer

The girls finished last season 16-4 (including playoffs) and finished the season with a heartbreaking loss in the state championship to rival Pinkerton.

The team also graduated six seniors, half of them being starters, but with senior captains Andi Nelson and Gretchen McGrath, along with junior captain Halle Hamilton, this year’s squad has a nice mix of youth and experience.

“We have eleven seniors this year,” Nelson said. “The rest of the team is pretty young and the starters aren’t all seniors.”

Some of the upcoming talent includes Olivia Stowell, Gwen Barnes, Sammy Leclair, and Emmy Dumaresque. Nelson also mentioned two seniors, Haley Laliberte and Ryann Boudreau, who will have a chance to step into major roles this season.

This group of girls has the potential to reach the big game again this year, but according to Nelson, there are still some things that need improvement.

“I think we have to trust each other a little more,” Nelson said.

Overall, Nelson thinks they “have a really good group this year,” which shehas seen during the scrimmages they’ve played.

“But consistency is huge,” she said. “We need to keep doing what we’ve been doing if we want to win it all. We absolutely have the potential to win it all, we just have to believe and work harder, and want it more than our opponents.”

The girls will have their first game this Tuesday at Spaulding.