Problems with the spookiest holiday out there

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. Well, almost. We do still have to get through Halloween.

So perhaps we should all agree that, in order to make it to Thanksgiving, we do a few things on Halloween.

1.Some people seem to think the Halloween qualifies them to walk down the center of the road. It doesn’t. Walking down the center of the road is literally never a good idea, unless the road is completely blocked off. If you want to wander down the middle of Mammoth, join a road race. I went out driving this past Saturday during Trick-or-Treating Night in Londonderry, and it amazed me how many people just disregarded the presence of moving vehicles. The wall of walkers encroaching my vehicle gave me about two feet of unoccupied space to drive through.  Not safe or convenient at all. 

2. This brings me to my next question, when did having parents drive you around become a thing? Kids can’t even walk from house to house to get free candy? If you live in a neighborhood where the houses are too spread out to walk, or it’s too dangerous, then go to a friend’s house or a different neighborhood. Driving around to drop kids off, and then parking in the street while they sprint 50 meters to get the goods causes not just traffic trouble, but it also isn’t safe. While I was out driving, I came upon two cars parked in the street facing opposite directions, with kids streaming down the three feet in between. Even going two miles an hour, it’s stressful as a driver and unsafe as a kid. Having your parents drive you around so you can gorge yourself on Snickers is the epitome of laziness.  At least try to get a head start working off those M&M’s and Snickers by walking rather than driving to get it.

3. Also when did no costumes become a thing? I might be behind the times, but I thought that Halloween was about dressing up. Not dressing up and still getting treats is perhaps even more lazy than being driven around. If you want candy that much, bum a few bucks off your parents or go get a job, and head to the store. Or don’t head to the store. Teenagers should be able to make costumes from things they find around the house. But being a teenager (and lets be real, it’s only teenagers that don’t bother with costumes) and not wearing a costume is particularly lazy.

Halloween is about walking around in costume and getting candy. It’s supposed to be fun, so make it fun for everyone.